Freezing Winter Squash
Freezing winter squash is the route to take to preserve your abundant squash harvest.
So here are the steps:
- Cut off the ends of the squash and then cut in half from end to end.
- Using and large spoon scrape out the seeds.
- Using a small amount off olive oil coat the flesh of the squash evenly, add a little salt if preferred
- Load the squash skin side down into baking pans, wrap tightly with foil.
- Insert into preheated oven at 350 degrees F
- Cook squash until the flesh is soft about 1-2 hours depending on the size of the squash
- Testing with a fork or knife remove from oven when flesh is soft all the way to skin.
- Uncover then peel fresh from the skin using a large spoon.
- Pulse in a food processor or run through a food mill to achieve smooth texture.
- Load into deli container or freezer bags.
- Allow squash to cool uncovered before putting it into the freezer.